Monday, March 16, 2009

Gratitude, Peace, and Hope

Many people around the world are worried about the economy, jobs, investments, housing, credit, and war. In the United states many are also worried about massive spending for economic stimulus and bailouts, and new government programs that might lead to higher taxes, losses of productivity, and worse health care.

These are serious issues, but we have it great compared to most time periods in the history of the world, and even to many people in the world today (I recently read They Poured Fire On Us From The Sky which is a very stark contrast to my life.) Even if things change for the worse, we'll probably still be in relatively good shape.

In addition, regardless of our personal circumstances or our national prosperity, I believe we can have peace and hope in our personal, daily lives. Jesus Christ said, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt 11:28-30). Likewise, Paul taught, "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Phil 4:6-7)

To me these scriptures aren't promising some magical peace that comes by declaring myself to be religious. They are explaining the logical consequence of looking for eternal truths, basing my life and values on those truths, doing my best to live by those truths, and making changes with the help of the Savior when I fall short.

I am very grateful for the peace I feel in my life right now and hope I can live close to God and continue to feel peace in times to come.